In my opinion, the beginning of December marks the official start of Christmas and with it comes a whole host of cheesy festive traditions; from bad music and dodgy jumpers to chocolate for breakfast and more cocktail sausages than you can poke a toothpick at – I love them all. One thing I always make time for over the festive period is whipping up some of my own eggnog with Heritage Breeds free-range eggs. Made with warming spices and a generous swig of bourbon, my recipe will have you feeling the festive vibes in no time.
700ml whole milk
200ml double cream
2 cinnamon sticks
5 cardamom pods
1 vanilla bean pod, split and seeds removed
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus more for garnish
6 Heritage Breeds eggs, separated
150g cup golden sugar
100ml Dark Bourbon
Garnish – handful of nuts, I love a combination of pistachio, hazelnut and almonds. Dusting of cinnamon is a must.
1. In a saucepan bring the milk, cream, vanilla, nutmeg and cardamom to the boil over a medium heat.
2. Once boiling take off the heat.
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar until thick.
4. Gently pour in the milk and whisk until combined.
5. Add in the bourbon; this will keep in the fridge for 3 days.
6. Before serving, beat the egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form.
7. Gently fold into the eggnog mixture.
8. Garnish with love, serve in some beautiful glasses and enjoy!
Discover more about Heritage Breeds here.