Give your salad a gothic makeover with my delicious black quinoa, kale, baby beet and tomato salad. Quinoa is a fantastic natural source of protein and goes perfectly with crispy roast kale and sweet beetroot – if you have enough willpower to save some for leftovers, it makes a gorgeous lunch the next day too.
100g black quinoa
Vegetable oil for frying
- Start by pre-heating the oven to 135C.
- Slice the plum tomatoes equally into 8 pieces and place on a baking tray.
- Sprinkle with thyme and Maldon salt and cook for 45 mins.
- Simmer the baby beetroots in water until the skin can be easily removed. Cool and remove the skin, dress in oil and Maldon salt and roast at 180C for 15 mins.
- Pick the kale and deep fry at 170C until crispy. Remove from the oil and place onto a tray lined with kitchen towel, season with sea salt.
- Bring the black quinoa to boil in seasoned water, cover and simmer until the water has evaporated and the quinoa is cooked. Leave to the side to cool.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a large serving bowl. Finish with extra virgin oil and toasted buckwheat.
Discover this recipe and simple styling tips to make black foods and black tableware work for every occasion on the Habitat website.