For the ultimate morning pick-me-up, slather espresso butter on banana bread – my recipe recently featured in Stylist magazine and makes a delicious indulgent weekend brunch or afternoon treat.
225g Unsalted Butter
300g caster sugar
4 free range eggs
450g plain flour
8g baking powder
11g bicarbonate of soda
15g whole milk
50g Chopped Pecans
Honey to brush + more chopped pecans to decorate
125g unsalted butter
2 espresso coffee shots – to taste
2 tbsp Icing Sugar
- Line 2 x 2lb loaf tins with silicone paper and place aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the egg into the mix one at a time and scrape down the edges. Whisk until the mixture is a smooth consistency.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the bowl and fold carefully into the egg mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix the pureed bananas with the milk.
- Add to the bowl and mix in carefully.
- Divide the batter into the tins.
- Sprinkle the tops evenly with chopped pecans.
- Bake at 160° for 45 – 55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, cool for 10 minutes.
- Place the cakes into an airtight container until the next day.
- Brush the tops with honey.
- To make the butter, mix the coffee, sugar and soft butter until smooth. Add more coffee and sugar to taste. Serve alongside the banana bread and a cuppa!