Move over salmon, there’s a new fish in town this Summer. No longer just a cheap, emergency toast topping – grilled whole sardines from Cornwall covered in garlic and lemon are a luxury main dish just waiting to happen. High in protein with the benefit of being an oily fish (hello Omega 3!), my recipe will have your guests loving you for introducing them to something new.
For 2 people
4 garlic cloves, crushed
4 tbsp good quality olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
1 tsp of paprika
Malden sea salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
1. To create your marinade, mix the garlic, oil, lemon, parsley, paprika, salt and pepper.
2. Place the sardines on a shallow tray and cover in the marinade.
3. Set aside in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Skewer two or three fish onto metal or wooden skewers. Top tip: whilst the fish is marinating, soak wooden skewers in water to avoid scorching during cooking.
5. Cook the sardines on a high-heat BBQ, cook for 2 – 3 minutes before flipping over, cook for a further 6. minutes until cooked through.
7. Enjoy with a fresh green salad!