What better way to enjoy afternoon tea or finish a delicious meal than with a slice of heavenly apple and elderflower cake? This has been one of the most popular sweet treats at Soane’s Kitchen and I’m super excited to exclusively share the recipe with you.
325g butter, softened
425g caster sugar
250g plain flour
50g rice flour/potato flour
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1kg apples, cut into 2cm chunks with the skin left on
25ml elderflower cordial
Honey, to drizzle on once out the oven and still warm
1. Preheat oven to 160°c.
2. Grease and line a 9inch round cake tin.
3. In a medium bowl, coat the chopped apple with 100g of the sugar and set aside.
4. Next make a cake batter. In a large bowl cream the butter and remaining sugar until pale and fluffy.
5. Gradually add the eggs (with a small amount of the plain flour to avoid separation) and mix until full combined.
6. Add the remaining plain flour, rice/potato flour, baking powder and cinnamon and mix until you have a smooth batter. Add the elderflower cordial and mix well.
7. Pour the batter into your cake tin and top with the coated apple.
8. Bake for approx. 1-1.5 hours or until a cake skewer comes out clean.
9. Remove from the oven and lightly drizzle with honey.
10. When cooled, serve with fresh cream, ice cream or creme fraiche. Enjoy!