These juniper pork tacos are messy, colourful, fun and delicious! I love getting lots of toppings, putting them in the middle of the table and letting everyone dig in. You can always use a slow cooker if you have one for this recipe.
1.5kg pork shoulder, cut into chunks
8 – 10 flour tortillas
For the marinade
1 lime, juice
1 orange, juice
1 red onion, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 tbsp tomato puree
2 tsp Maldon sea salt
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp allspice
4 tsp juniper berries
For the stock
500ml white wine
1ltr chicken stock
Baby gem lettuce
Red cabbage and carrot slaw
Smashed avocado with chilli and lime
1. Mix the marinade ingredients together and pour over the pork shoulder, coating the meat. Leave overnight to marinade.
2. Put the pork in a heavy-based casserole pan, add in the stock, place the lid on and cook on a low heat, 160˚C, for 4 – 5 hours until tender and the pork falls apart. During cooking, check the meat every hour and give it a stir.
3. Using a dry griddle or pan, toast the tortillas for 1 minute on each side or until they are marked or crisp.
4. While the pork is cooking, make your preferred toppings.
5. Once the pork is cooked, place everything on the table.