BBQs aren’t just for charring meat and veggies – they also work well for puddings, many of which can be thrown on while you’re serving the main event.
One of my favourite BBQ puddings is Grilled Peaches with Coconut Yoghurt. Cooking peaches over a hot flame brings out their natural juiciness and intensifies the flavour. Just grill them on the outer edges of your BBQ to avoid scorching them.
4 fresh peaches
2 tbsp of light brown sugar
½ tsp of ground cinnamon
50g of flaked almonds
Vegetable oil, for brushing
4 tbsp of coconut yoghurt
A good drizzle of honey
1. Toast the flaked almonds in a dry saucepan on a low heat until lightly browned; this can be done in advance and set aside until serving. Tip: do a big batch as they are also great for sprinkling over porridge and salads.
2. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon.
3. Cut the peaches in half and remove the stone. Brush the peaches with oil, ensuring the cut sides are well coated.
4. Place the peaches cut side-down on your BBQ, until grill marks form. Turn the halves over and sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon. This will melt onto the peaches.
5. Grill until softened and well-marked. If you need to finish them off in the oven, cook them at 150°C for an additional 5-10 minutes or until cooked through.
6. Serve on a plate with a spoonful of coconut yogurt, a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of toasted almonds. Enjoy hot or cold.