If you’re planning a socially distanced barbecue or alfresco dinner, my Roasted Broccoli Steak & Zero Waste Herb Stem Chimichurri recipe makes a brilliant veggie main.
I loved collaborating with Falcon Enamelware last year, creating delicious Summer recipes for a beautiful sharing feast at Pitzhanger Manor. This vegan dish is a total winner and the bright, fresh flavour went down a storm with guests.
Roasted Broccoli Steak & Zero Waste Herb Stem Chimichurri
Serves 8 -10
2 x heads of broccoli
1 x banana shallot, finely diced
2 x green chilli, finely diced
1 x bunch parsley, chopped
1 tsp Red wine vinegar
3 tsp Olive oil for the dressing, plus extra to cook the broccoli
Maldon sea salt
25g toasted sunflower seeds, roughly chopped
50g fresh spinach leaves
1. Cut each broccoli in half directly through the stalk. Then cut down the side to trim off excess florets so that the steak sits flat as a piece. Keep the trimmings and set aside.
2. Mix together the shallot, green chilli, parsley and sunflower seeds, season with lemon zest, juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil and salt. Set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 160C fan and heat up a griddle pan, until it is really hot.
4. Cook the broccoli trimmings in a little veg stock until soft, drain (reserving the liquid) and blend with the spinach to keep it a bright green. Season and place in a bowl over ice to cool down as quickly as possible.
5. Once the grilled is hot, drizzle the broccoli with a little oil and salt and chargrill the broccoli steaks until they have deep black lines on either side. Place on a baking tray on baking paper and cook in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
6. To serve the broccoli steaks, spoon on some broccoli puree, and chimichurri and garnish.
Visit the Falcon Enamelware site here to shop the stunning new collection.