Missed my crowd-pleasing Ginger & Garlic Sweet Potato Salad as featured on Sheerluxe? Worry not; here’s what you need to know…
There are a few golden rules I stick to for creating a winning salad formula. Start by choosing a grain – this will be the base for your salad. Always add a cheese or seed for texture and crunch. Remember you can never have too many veggies in a salad; see what needs using up in the fridge, then add it raw or pan-fry to keep your salad interesting.
My Ginger & Garlic Sweet Potato Salad always goes down a treat at Social Pantry Cafe and is a brilliant one for picnics in the park or as a side for your next barbecue.
250g sweet potato, cut into 2cm pieces
150g red onion, cut into half moons
100g butternut squash, cut into half moons
100g pearl barley
1 vegetable stock cube
1 bag fresh spinach
1 tbsp each of garam masala, turmeric, cumin & coriander
1 tsp onion seeds
Vegetable oil, for frying
1. Roast the butternut squash and sweet potato at 180°C until brown.
2. Gently heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a frying pan and cook garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add the dry spices and cook for another minute, then stir through the cooked sweet potato & butternut squash.
3. Next, pan-roast 150g of red onion in oil with salt & pepper until tender.
4. Cook 100g of pearl barley in vegetable stock until tender to taste.
5. Thinly slice 1 bag of spinach into ribbons and mix through the barley and a handful of rocket.
6. Toss everything together and season to taste.
7. Garnish with micro cress, onion seeds and sliced fresh chilli.
8. Serve on a beautiful plate or platter and enjoy!
TIP: a drizzle of yogurt and pomegranate seeds can really bring this to life.
TIME SAVING TIP: cook all your vegetables and barley the day before and just throw together on the day.