Next up in my Summer series for Falcon Enamelware is this incredibly more-ish whole roasted organic lemon chicken with seasonal salad. It’s a super simple but really effective way of cooking and serving chicken. I love mopping up the juices with crusty bread and it goes perfectly with a cool glass of white wine.
Whole Roasted Organic Lemon Chicken, Watercress, Rocket & Asparagus Salad
Serves 8 – 10
1 free range, corn-fed chicken
1 bag watercress
1 bag rocket
1 bunch British asparagus
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme, 2 sprigs reserved
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary, 2 sprigs reserved
2 lemons, zest and juice reserved for the dressing
2 garlic cloves, minced
Maldon sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
100g softened butter
1. Preferably the night before, marinade the chicken in the lemon zest, olive oil, black pepper, chopped thyme, rosemary and minced garlic.
2. To cook the chicken, Preheat the oven to 170C fan.
3. Place in a roasting tin and stuff the cavity with 1 of the lemons cut in half and the sprigs of rosemary and thyme reserved.
4. Season the chicken all over with salt and pour any marinating juices over the top.
5. Place the chicken in the oven for about 1 hour 20 minutes or until the juices run clear from the thigh. Allow to rest before carving.
6. While the chicken is cooking, bring a pan of salted water to the boil and prepare a bowl of iced water.
7. Prep the asparagus by removing the woody end. Cook the asparagus for 2 minutes.
8. Drain and immediately add the asparagus to the iced water to cool it down quickly.
9. When you are ready to serve, mix the watercress, rocket and cooked asparagus together and dress with the lemon juice leftover, olive oil and a little seasoning.
10. Once rested, carve the chicken and serve on a beautiful plate or bowl with the salad.